Jun 8, 2006

Yet Another Birthday!

For the better part of my short but sweet cycling career, Forrest and his wife Anne-Marie have been with me nearly every pedal stroke along the way. Recently both Anne-Marie and Forrest decided to retire from the pro ranks and chase other endeavors. That was a sad day for me.We have had some amazing experiences while chasing the races all across the country. More times than not, we ended up driving their van which had so much room that we could fit 6 comfortably plus all the bikes. We ended up driving in shifts in order to get to where we were going, fast. Often for 20 hours + at a time as we all had jobs we were playing hookey from and had to expedite our trip and minimize the expenses. We had it down to a science. Two sleeping, two eating, and two sharing the driving/navigating/DJ responsibilities. Despite all of this time cooped up in confined spaces and nearly running out of gas in the middle of the night in the middle of wherever it was (It was too dark to know), I enjoyed every minute of it. I could not have shared my time with better people.Without Forrest at the start line and in the race, I am not sure I would still be here. It never mattered who beat who because we both reveled in the experience and not in the results, both on and off the course. These past few years I have missed lining up with one of my best friends.Happy Birthday Forrest. Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you're getting older. See you in Tahoe and Yosemite again soon.

No comments: