Jul 9, 2007

Another Day, Another Journey...

You would think after spending the weekend up in the Sierras climbing, conversing and relaxing, what I am about to embark on would be the last thing you would think of...


"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns
home to find it."

- George Moore


After work tomorrow, I am heading to the base of Mt. Shasta in advance of climbing to the summit (14,162) on Wednesday morning. I will arise around midnight, make some breakfast, turn on my headlamp and set out into the dark to climb over 6000 feet in a little over 6 miles straight up Avalanche Gulch, alone.








Now before you go getting all worried, I have three things to say. First, I will technically be alone, but this is one of the most climbed peaks in the US and I will be climbing the most common and easiest route up there. Additionally, I do know that there will be a party attempting to summit from Horse Camp, 2 miles up the trail, at 2 am. A few co-workers are in that group climbing in the fight against breast cancer. So there will be lots of people around. I did ask a few different people to join me, but for for varying reasons, they all declined to go.


Second, I do know what I am doing. I have spent the better part of my life in the mountains and I know to respect the mountains with great humility. This time of year, there is virtually no risk of avalanche, little risk of snow storm, and occasional risk of afternoon thunder storm (which is why I am leaving so early.) My turn around time will be 12 noon. Wherever I am at noon, I turn around, no matter what. There is a late afternoon risk of lightning, as well as the temps go up significantly and that increases the chance of rockfall. So, get in early, and get out before the risk goes up at all. Besides, the snow stays nice and firm which is better for walking on.



Third, the "Why?" Well, I need to get some thinking done. Without really going into details, I need to get over some things, work through some things, and get on with life. (No, I have not joined a 12 step program or anything like that, I just need some alone time in my "crawl space." What better place to do it than watching the sunrise from 14,000 feet.)

Now, I have to say, I am a super happy-go-lucky guy. While I much prefer to journey with a companion, for the experience with another is infinitely better, I have no problem wandering the earth by myself. I've done it most of my life. Not in a selfish sort of way, but sometimes you just have to go about it alone if you want to go at all. If you wait around too long for someone to go with, you may never get to where you want to go. And sometimes waiting is worth it, unless they don't want you to wait. So sure, I roam alone sometimes, but I have never been lonely.

John Greenleaf Whittier once said:

"Of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these:

It might have been."


It's time for me to wander...so don't worry. I'll be fine. I always am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pat,

Strangest thing . . . I just returned from a camping Shasta-Trinity. I could see Shasta the whole time. Weird to think we were so close and yet so far.

Mike Nevin