Jul 3, 2006

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye...

Friends, Family, Customers and Colleagues,

There comes a time when one must look for the next challenge. Now is my time. On July 12th I will lock up the shop for the last time as General Manager of Paradigm Cycles. On July 17th, I begin my next adventure with Clif Bar in the Specialty Retailer sales department in Berkeley, CA. I will remain living in San Anselmo.

In April of 2003 I took a position with Paradigm Cycles as a Retail Development Consultant. Julia, the owner, and I set out tackle some ambitious goals. At the time, the company was in its first year as a start-up bike shop in an already saturated market. We wanted to establish the shop as the leader in the custom bikes and wheels, customized bike fits, and pro level service. We also wanted to develop the infrastructure to support those roles as well as an online presence and ultimately become profitable. Looking back on the last three and a half years, I can say that despite many seemingly insurmountable challenges, we have accomplished all of our goals that we set out on. I will leave proud to be part of such a great organization with incredibly talented people at the helm.

I am sad to leave my family of colleagues and customers for they are what made my job so rewarding. I have had the pleasure of spending every day living vicariously through each and every person that I have come in contact with in the shop. I have watched many of you set foot in a bike shop for the very first time to make your first bike purchase. Everybody there has dreams and ambitions to do something on a bike whether it is riding to the store to buy groceries, a metric century, the Death Ride, national champion, world champion or an Ironman. I have had the pleasure of being a part of that quest through sharing of knowledge, training tips, fitting advice or merely moral support on a rainy day. I will truly miss you all. I hope that you will continue to support Paradigm Cycles after my departure. I cannot think of a better bike shop in the Bay Area and I only see them getting better. They are all very passionate about the shop and the people they work with.

My new position at Clif Bar in the specialty retail sales department will provide me with new challenges and the chance for career growth with another great group of people. Clif Bar has been my title sponsor for the past six years racing bikes. I am already great friends with many people in the organization, so it should come as no great surprise that I will find my new home there. My new position will keep me in touch with many of you in the bike and ski industries and I look forward to future meetings.

Clif Bar has graciously agreed to allow me to finish out my final year of racing professionally as I still have high ambitions for the remainder of the season. These final two months promise to be exciting with so many important races so close together on two continents.

As always, enjoy the ride and be well. Peace, out…

No comments: