Apr 3, 2006

Sea Slaughter!

Just a quick update:
I raced on those skinny tire road bike thingies this weekend up in Sonora, CA. I had a great time despite yearning to be mountain biking. It was a tough race with nothing but ups and downs (just the way I like it). There was nary a flat section except for the promenade from the start to the course. I managed to enjoy a reprieve from the rain, though it took me driving 3 hours Southeast to find it. I was duly rewarded for my efforts both in the drivers seat and the saddle as I finished "in the money"...$5 for fourth place. (So you wanna be a bike pro, eh?)

On tap this week is Sea Otter! I will be traveling down to Monterey tomorrow and down there all week. If you want to come out and hand me a waterbottle (or just squirt one in my face), you can find the directions to Laguna Seca on the Sea Otter website. If I'm not racing, I'll most likely be hanging at the Luna Bar truck with my teammates. (I'm the luckiest guy on the circuit to have them as teammates!) No, I don't wear the same uniform as them... I am in this kit:

Once again, my accommodations will be in the luxurious Pink Palace beach cottage in beautiful Pacific Grove, compliments of the Loher family and my great friend Mark Hanson. If you can find Arena Ave. in Pacific Grove, you can find the Pink Palace, as it's the only pink cottage on the street (and if I'm not mistaken, it's the only pink building for 50 miles). So swing on by and have a couple of shots of water and an energy drink with me. If you want to jump in the ocean, be my guest, It's a lovely 54 degrees (perfect for the sore legs) and it's only feet from the front door.

Here is my race schedule for this week:


STAGE ONE: SUPER CROSS Thursday, April 6, 2006 (A.K.A STUPID CROSS)
The Super Cross will include additional off-road sections as we invite the world's best mountain bike racers to challenge each other on a 5-mile, half-dirt, half-road circuit. Starting and finishing on Laguna Seca raceway, the course climbs pavement to the top of the corkscrew, then exits back into the infield near dual slalom and short track. After some dirt descents, climbs, and twin track, racers re-enter Laguna Seca Raceway for a 1-mile paved return to Start/Finish. Time bonuses for the top three finishers. All riders in danger of being lapped will be pulled; receiving a finish time, plus a penalty (to be determined by the Chief Official); pulled riders will be allowed to continue in the event.
Pro/Elite Women: 10:00 am, Stage length of 60 min., laps TBD
Pro/Elite Men: 11:30 am, Stage length of 60 min., laps TBD

STAGE TWO: TIME TRIAL Friday, April 7, 2006 (A.K.A. The Race of Truth)
Ride as fast as you can on a 2-mile course within the confines of Laguna Seca. The Time Trial start/finish is on the Short Track course as in years past. The shorter, faster course is designed to keep General Classification times closer leading into the final two stages on Saturday and Sunday.
Pro/Elite Women: 9:30 am
Pro/Elite Men: 10:30 am

STAGE THREE: SHORT TRACK Saturday, April 8, 2006 (A.K.A. Hurricane of PAIN)
Due to popular demand, racers will race the same Short Track as in years past. Time bonuses will be awarded for the top three. All riders in danger of being lapped will be pulled. All pulled riders will receive a finish time, plus a penalty (to be determined by the Chief Official), but you will be allowed into the cross country on Sunday.
Special note to Pro/Elite Men: Due to your field size of 160 riders, a two-heat system will be incorporated as in years past. The top 50% after stages 1 & 2 seeded in heat #2, racing for Stage and G.C. time and prize money. The bottom 50% will be seeded in heat #1, racing only for time in the G.C.
Pro/Elite Men, Heat 1: 12:30 pm, 7 laps (More than likely I will be in this one, I will update)
Pro/Elite Women: 1:15 pm, 7 laps
Pro/Elite Men, Heat Two: : 2:00 pm, 7 laps (If I'm fast, I will be in this group)

STAGE FOUR: CROSS-COUNTRY Sunday, April 9, 2006 (The REAL reason why we're here)
We are pleased to announce a new course for 2006! In partnership with the Bureau of Land Management and as part of our responsibility as stewards of the Fort Ord trails, we have designed a new course to include all of the features you love about the Sea Otter Cross Country. Have no fear - you will still ride several 18-mile laps with about 2400 feet of climbing each lap, fight your way up short, steep climbs, enjoy singletrack of rocks, sand and other challenges, thrill through tight sections in the trees, and ride new open fields of scenery. Line up and ride clockwise on the track this year!
Pro/Elite Men: 1:00 pm
Pro/Elite Women: 1:10 pm

I hope to see y'all out at the races. I will try to update from PG if I get good cell reception.

No comments: