May 28, 2006

Peaks and Valleys

I've kinda been in a funk lately. I can't explain why really. I just am.

Life is like that. Peaks and valleys. Luckily, I do not suffer from manic swings like some people I know. I am usually an upbeat person, and when I get down, it is usually not that far and it usually is not for long. And right now, I am not really down, just in a valley between peaks.
While I have the liberty of riding my bike nearly every day, it provides me with big blocks of time to get some thinking done. So that means it's time for a long solo ride. My destination: an old training route, Mount Diablo. But yesterday, I had a lot on my mind so I rode it a couple of times (plus, it's what the training called for, lots of climbing.)
Mt. Tam from the summit of Mt. Diablo
When I get like this, I start evaluating the important things in my life. It usually gets me back on the upswing. Still, there are things that get me sad from time to time. While I managed to ride Diablo multiple times in personal record time both times while not even trying, I still left bothered by something...but what???
Mt. Diablo from Mt. Tam
So this morning, I rolled out at sunrise on my mountain bike with no real destination in mind, just ride for 3 hours, easy. I drop into deep concentration and find myself at the top of Mt. Tam, looking over at Mt. Diablo. That's when it struck me. All of it.
Yesterday I was atop Mt Diablo, an old training route for me and a goal so to speak. And this morning, I find myself looking over at Mt. Diablo from the top of Tam, but I had to descend Diablo and travel the distance between in order to reach the top of Tam. It was that journey that answered why I am down, figuratively speaking.
In order to achieve great things, to live your dream, we must travel through the valleys as it's what separates and defines the peaks. The key is to let go of those things that keep us in the valleys. We have to let go of those things that prevent us from reaching the peak. Even if it means letting go of other dreams.
I figured out after eight hours of riding on two mountains that it's letting go of the things that have held me back that saddened me. Ironically, I am sad about letting go of old dreams that have, long ago, let go of me.
What's holding you back?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice. inspiriational.