Aug 8, 2006

You Got Up Dog?

I raced in Fort Ord last weekend where the experience was totally different. I managed to have some fun, mostly because everyone was acting their age and not throwing temper tantrums and waterbottles.

Ty Mt. Washington

It will be good to see Ty racing again...even if it's his back wheel for a minute...

My career as a fulltime pro is winding down fast. Next I am off to Aspen, Co for the NORBA National Series finals. Interestingly, it was my crash in Aspen that ultimately ended my career as a ski racer at the ripe age of 20. And now, 15 years later, it will be on the very same slopes that I will race my final time in the US as a pro. Isn't that Ironic?...Don't you think? I have been invited to represent THF in New Hampshire in the Mount Washington Hillclimb. By the numbers... Terminus 6288 ft. (1916.58 meters)Base (Toll House) 1565 ft. (477 meters)Elevation gain 4727 ft. (1440.79 meters)Length 7.6 miles (12.23 kilometers)Grade Avg.12%, extended 18%, final 100 yds. 22%Road surface 65% paved, 35% packed gravel. Record 49:24 by Tom Danielson, 2002. And apparently, the hard part is not the road...it's the weather. Check it out.
Does anybody have some spare legs I can borrow? Because I am pretty sure mine will be obliterated by the time I get to the top...but this is what I love.
After Mt. Washington, I have a weekend of rest and then I head to Canada for my final race...World Mountainbike Championships in Kamloops, British Columbia. I have heard the new course suits my strengths even better than last year. And with a fith place under my belt from last year...well...no predictions...just dreams and aspirations. It would sure be nice to go out on top.
And just when you think it's time to take a much needed break, I head to Europe. I have decided to forego the World Cup and focus all of my efforts on the THF MS Global Ride. It was just going to be too much of a hassle, bringing two bikes over trying to rush around Europe to race AND lead the ride. Besides, I am so slow, they would undoubtedly kick me out after a lap or two. So, Spend a week of running around to race for 40 minutes or so??? I don't think so. Besides, I will be retired...And a new card carrying member of the PLT (that's Pro Leisure Tour).
Besides, I have found my next gig http://www.prostaredown.com/ Care to jump in the ring with me?

crankshaft

Enjoy you ride...and try not to stare at those that enjoy less conventionally.

No comments: