Feb 28, 2006

Changes in Lattitudes, Changes in Attitudes...

Today's training ride would have been a lot more fun if my water bottles had Captain-n-Coke in them, a spinnaker rig on my handlebars and some Jimmy Buffet on the Ipod (I don't even own any Jimmy music). It reminded me of my days at Long Beach Yacht Club and all of the Catalina Island races I had been in. At one point I looked down during an interval and I was going 9 miles an hour upwind, not uphill, and I was anaerobic. If I took a swig of Captain-n-Coke at that point, I would have chirped for sure. As I rounded the corner way out by Nicassio reservoir where the wind really rips, it was just like rounding the upwind mark in a boat race...I started my downwind leg of the ride. Next interval, I am doing 50mph, and below my target effort, just like popping the chute on a boat, high speeds and little effort. Now, hand me that Captain-n-Coke...
I miss sailing. Living in Long Beach, I had it good all year long. Palm Trees, a boat to sail almost any day of the week and some sort of race just about every weekend if you wanted it. Being good at foredeck got me a ride on some of the great boats in the area, as anybody can grind a winch or tail a sheet, but running foredeck took a bit of brainpower, and some courage (or stupidity). Going up the mast when the boat is ripping along at 10 knots, swaying to and fro to retrieve a line was not for the faint at heart. I was always scared, out of respect for the boat (and the person hoisting me). It made me forget I was living in a town of 12 million. I'll be back on a boat...just as soon as I finish this one last interval...
If I could just win the lottery....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH. SURE. LIKE BEING USDA RAILMEAT IS JUST A WALK IN THE PARK.